The final minutes of the 40th ESO and ESO-ALMA Users Committee
(UC) are available here as a pdf document. It includes the discussion between ESO representatives and the ESO Member State representatives as well as the recommendations made by the UC during the meeting that took place in ESO headquarters in Garching bei München in April 18-19, 2016.
Some notes taken during the meeting (not announced in the last Call for Proposals) are the following:
- There is a new ephemeris file generator tool available on ESO web site.
- The questionnaire (“PNPP survey”) to understand why a significant fraction of observed proposals did not produce refereed papers after 10 years is now underway. It is not anonymous.
- The Exposure Time Calculators have been upgraded. One can upload his/her own spectral templates (one of the recommendations made by the Spanish community).
- There is a new Atmospheric Site monitor in Paranal in operations since Apr 3rd, 2016. The new DIMM tower is to provide more reliable optical seeng estimates. The fits header keywords showing the data are: TEL.AMBI.FWHM.START/END.
- ESO is working on implementing the Phases 1 and 2 of proposal submission procedure. Expected completion in ~3 years.
- ESO is continuously releasing reduced data from Public Surveys and Large Programs. ATLASGAL (APEX Large Area Survey of the Galaxy) was released in Feb 2016.
The National Representatives were asked to provide ESO with more researchers willing to act as OPC and Panel members. Particularly, the Spanish community must provide an updated list of eligible astronomers:
Here you can find the agenda of the ESO Users Committee (UC) 40th meeting.
Presentations and ESO annual reports prepared in pdf format are also available next, including the report on the Observing efficiency on Paranal upon request by the Users Committee:
Finally, the ESO Director General mentioned that there are two LEGO models for VLT and E-ELT. LEGO may make a set for each if >10,000 votes are received:
Please, do not hesitate to contact me for further inquiries or clarifications.
Page updated: May 13th, 2016.